41 migrants sink off Tunisian coast in pursuit to cross Mediterranean Sea and enter Europe

On Friday, the UN refugee agency reported death of 41 African migrants near Tunisia, who were trying to cross Mediterranean Sea, in hope of a better life in Europe. Among the deceased was one child. The tragic incident, which took place on Thursday near the coast of Sidi Mansour, in southeast Tunisia, was caused due to sinking of the boat in which the migrants were travelling.

A day after the incident, the UN refugee agency and International Organization for Migration (IOM) issued a joint statement saying, “The bodies of 41 people, including at least one child, have so far been retrieved… According to reports from local UNHCR and IOM teams, three survivors were rescued by the Tunisian National Coast Guard.”

Related Posts

It added that the rescue teams were still at work till Friday. It said, “The search effort was still underway on Friday. Based on initial information, all those who perished were from Sub-Saharan Africa.” But the search operation was later called off on Saturday due to the bad weather.

The statement added, “This tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to enhance and expand state-led search and rescue operations across the Central Mediterranean, where some 290 people have lost their lives so far this year… Solidarity across the region and support to national authorities in their efforts to prevent loss of life and prosecute smugglers and traffickers should be a priority.”

Tunisia’s port city of Sfax is said to be a common exit point for refugees from Africa and Middle East who try to enter Europe through the Mediterranean Sea, despite the high risks involved. The route has been marked as the deadliest one. Yet the yearning for better life pushes migrants to take chances with their lives, who sometimes even sail on board makeshift vessels to cross the mighty sea. “So far this year, sea departures from Tunisia to Europe have more than tripled compared to the same period in 2020,” the UNHCR-IOM statement said. As per the UN reports about 1,200 migrants have lost their lives since last year while trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea. The report highlighted that most of them died crossing the central part of the sea.

About admin

Admin at WorkersRights, dedicated to elevating the voices of the vulnerable, shedding light on human rights, labor issues, and the pursuit of a fair work-life balance worldwide.

admin

Admin at WorkersRights, dedicated to elevating the voices of the vulnerable, shedding light on human rights, labor issues, and the pursuit of a fair work-life balance worldwide.

Recent Posts

2025 Tech Industry Layoffs As of April

A new round of tech job cuts started in 2025 while following the trend from 2024, where 549 companies dismissed…

April 6, 2025

30% of Portuguese Jobs Face AI Disruption Risk

A study by the Francisco Manuel dos Santos Foundation shows that 30% of Portuguese workers work in jobs that face…

April 5, 2025

Three Ontario Companies Fined for Hiring Unauthorized Foreign Workers in Canada

From hiring foreign employees to work in Canada, three Ontario-based companies recently got penalized for illegal business practices. The Canada…

April 5, 2025

The US Internal Revenue Service began Laying Off 20,000 Workers!

The Internal Revenue Service of the US government has begun to execute their plan of workforce reductions which is reflected…

April 5, 2025

Stellantis Cuts 900 US Jobs as Trump’s Auto Tariffs Take Effect

Stellantis advises 900 US-based employees of furlough and shuts Mexican and Canadian facilities because Trump's new trade tariffs force these…

April 4, 2025

Big Profits, Big Layoffs: Whirlpool’s $17B Year Ends in Job Cuts

Whirlpool Corporation has announced it will lay off about 650 workers at its Amana, Iowa facility. The layoffs will take…

April 4, 2025

This website uses cookies.

Read More