Iraq Repatriates 4000 Of Its Own From Belarus-Polish Border

WhatsAppWhatsAppFacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterPinterestPinterestRedditRedditGmailGmailShareShare

IraqIraq Iraq – It is all mayhem at the Belarusian border and Iraqi government has finally decided to call the shots, at least for their own. Iraq entered into talks with the Lithuanian side to ensure that it can bring back its own.

Towards this, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein met with his Lithuanian counterpart Gabrielius Landsbergis. After this, as many as 4000 Iraqi migrants stranded on the Belarusian-Lithuanian border could return back to Iraq.

Post this, still there would be some left to on the border, but will be returned voluntarily.

Since August, the EU countries bordering Belarus — Lithuania, Latvia and Poland — have reported a dramatically growing number of irregular crossings.

Related Posts

Over 8,000 people have tried to enter the bloc via the Belarus-EU border so far in 2012, up sharply from just 150 last year.

Iraq was the first country to have stopped movement of migrants through Belarus. Using unfair tactics, Belarus is said to have given generous visas to potential travelers through seemingly official channels, including diplomatic missions and travel agencies, and invites them into their own country. They were later shown the way to the borders, luring them into easy access into the European Union.

The Iraqi migrants had come through Lithuania, Poland and Latvia and were later shown the way to the borders luring them into easy entry into the European Union. Since November 18, the Iraqi government has organised “10 flights from Baghdad to Belarus” to repatriate its citizens, Fuad Hussein told a press conference in Baghdad with his Lithuanian counterpart.

The flights have generally arrived in Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan region, where many of the would-be migrants are from, before continuing to Baghdad. With the intent to create disharmony amongst the EU nations and on the borders dictatorial Belarusian strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka has been accused of funneling thousands of mostly Middle Eastern migrants to the borders of Poland, Latvia, and Lithuania. This has been termed as the “hybrid attack” by him, to retaliate for Western sanctions that were imposed following Lukashenka’s crackdown on those protesting his reelection in a controversial vote in August 2020.

About WR News Writer

WR News Writer is an engineer turned professionally trained writer who has a strong voice in her writing. She speaks on issues of migrant workers, human rights, and more.

WR News Writer

WR News Writer is an engineer turned professionally trained writer who has a strong voice in her writing. She speaks on issues of migrant workers, human rights, and more.

Recent Posts

Musk’s DOGE Initiative Leads to Record Government Layoffs

The Department of Government Efficiency fired more public workers through March under Elon Musk than all previous data monitored since…

April 3, 2025

Japanese tire manufacturer Bridgestone Cuts Jobs in Difficult Market Conditions

Japanese tire manufacturer Bridgestone announced it would cut 546 jobs at its northern Spain factories, considering the challenging market conditions…

April 3, 2025

Nicaragua Encounters Continuous Systematic Repressions: UNHRC Reports

On 3 April 2025, the United Nations Human Rights Commission (UNHRC) has submitted a shocking report about continuos human rights…

April 3, 2025

US Job Market Shows Resilience Over Economic Uncertainty

In March the US job market showed better-than-expected results when private companies added 155,000 workers to their payroll despite the…

April 3, 2025

Workers Are About to Strike Once More against Samsung India

Just a few weeks after a strike took place, workers at the Chennai plant of Samsung India are gearing up…

April 2, 2025

Zomato layoffs in customer support department raises concerns

Zomato has cut up to 600 customer support jobs in less than a year of taking the employees onboard, according…

April 2, 2025